CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
(Council of Scientific and Industrial Research)
Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India
Tarnaka, Hyderabad-500007, Telangana, INDIA
Saibal Das was born on 5th September 1977 in Shillong, capital of Meghalaya situated at the eastern part of India.
He did his early schooling from Kendriya Vidyalaya's (often called Central School) at Shillong (Meghayala) and finished his Secondary (1994) and Higher Secondary (1996) Schooling from Kendriya Vidyalaya Masimpur (Assam). He completed his Bachelors (1999) in Chemistry as major from Gurucharan College, Silchar under Assam (Central) University followed by Masters (2001) in the same subject at Department of Chemistry, Assam (Central) University, where he worked on the synthesis of new V/U shaped Liquid crystals. In 2002, he moved to Bangalore and joined the group of Prof S. Chandrasekaran at Indian Institute of Science in the Department of Organic Chemistry to have a research stint until 2004, where he worked on the development of novel reactions using Selenium reagent (academic) and value additions to racemic aminoalcohols (as a part of industrial project). Then he moved to France to pursue his doctoral studies under the supervision of Dr Rene Gree at University of Rennes1 situated on the western part of the country and got his PhD degree (2007) in three years, where he worked on the synthesis of various prostaglandins, their analogues and development of sustainable processes using ionic liquids for fluorination and kinetic resolution of secondary alcohols.
In the end of 2007, he joined one of the premiere research laboratories of Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT)-Hyderabad, as a Fellow scientist under the Quick Recruitment Scheme to carryout research for inhouse industrial projects. One year later, in the mid of 2008, he became Scientist-C and joined Organic Division-1 in the same organisation. In 2009, he got his laboratory space to pursue institutional/academic research.
Total Synthesis of Biologically active molecules, particularly, Anti-inflammatory and Anti-cancer.
Applications of Ionic Liquids for sustainable processes.
Development of novel DPP-IV inhibitors.
Focused Chemical Library (heterocycles) Synthesis for HTS against various cell lines.
Synthesis of Prostaglandin (PGs) and their new analogues including fluoro-PGs.
Fluorinations of alcohols using reusable systems.
Kinetic resolutions of secondary alcohols using reusable systems.
Racemisations of amino alcohols.
Liquid Crystal synthesis of V- & U- shaped mesogens.
• Projects/Funding : DBT (Ongoing) and DST (Ongoing)
• 12th FYP : ORIGIN, ACT and NICE-P
• Others : CSIR-Mayo, JLSCI (Indo-French)
• Consultancy : Zenara Pvt. Ltd. (Ongoing)
• Involved earlier: Biocon (2007-8) | Bharat Biotech (2008-9)| Omega Cat System (France) (2010-11)
Research Group Members
- Marri Gangababu - PhD Student (2013-present)
- Kalyankar Kondbarao Balasahed - PhD Student (2013-present)
- Sheshurao B - PhD Student (2009-present)
- Synthesis of (3R),(5S)-5-hydroxy-de-O-methyllasipdiplodin: A Facile and Stereoselective Approach
Sheshurao Bujaranipalli and Saibal Das*
Tetrahedran Lett. 2015, In press, corrected proof online.
- Solution phase synthetic approach to Fellutamide B
Jhillu Singh Yadav*, Soma Shekar Dachavaram, Rene Gree and Saibal Das*
Tetrahedran Lett. 2015, In press, Accepted manuscript.
- Stereoselective Synthesis of Vittarilide-A
Jhillu Singh Yadav*, Vijaya Vardhan Chinnam, Bendapudi Bala Murali Krishna, Kundeti Lakshmi Srinivasa Rao and Saibal Das*
Tetrahedran Lett. 2015, 56, 1661-1663.
- Stereoselective TiCl4-mediated aldol reactions starting from acylsilanes
Gangababu Marri, J. Satyanarayana Reddy, Johal Ruiz, Saibal Das* and René Grée*
Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2015, 4, 840-846.
- First stereo selective total synthesis of Neocosmosin A: A Facile Approach
Soma Shekar Dachavaram, Kondbarao Balasaheb Kalyankar and Saibal Das*
Tetrahedron Lett. 2014, 55, 5629-5631.
- Indian Patent 2008, No:1530/CHE/2007.
Saibal Das, René Grée, S. Chandrasekhar, J. S. Yadav, P. Srihari, A.V. Rama Rao
Process for the enzymatic resolution of racemic mono-substituted 2-cycloalkene-1,4-diols in ionic liquids
- Automation Chemistry: Generation of Focused Chemical Libraries towards Drug Development
RSC MedChem Congress, Feb 2011, Special Lecture
- Synthesis of Prostaglandines and New Utilisations of Ionic Liquids
June 2007, Lecture
Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad, India.
- New Utilizations of Ionic Liquids : Fluorination and Metal Catalyzed Reaction
44 ème Semaine d’Etude de la Chimie Organique
May 2007,Montpellier, France.
- Utilizations of Ionic Liquid: Metal Catalyzed reaction and Fluorination
Journée des Doctorants, Dec 2006, Poster presentation, Université de Rennes 1, France.
- New methodology and synthesis: State of the Art in Total Synthesis and Natural Products.
Xth Symposium ICSN Conferences, June 2005, Oral & Poster presentation, Gif-sur-Yvette, France.
© 2014 CSIR-IICT, Tarnaka, Hyderabad - 500007, India. Ph: 91-40-27191234